2006-03-09

CloudCam

Today I dug out an old Creative VideoBlaster II web camera; the old sort that connects to the parallel port and takes power from the keyboard connection. I hooked it up to one of my GNU/Linux boxes and rebuilt the kernel to provide support for the camera.

So, for the moment anyway, my weather site now has "CloudCam".

It's simply sat on a windowsill, pointing out of the window at the sky. To be honest it's not a very good setup and the quality of the image is pretty terrible (to take an image I have to start it up and then wait 12 seconds before the balance has sorted itself out) but it's a fun thing to try out. In the long term, if it does work out okay, I might see about hooking up a better camera and sorting out a better position.

File Under: Weather, Clouds, Sky Camera, Cloud Camera, WebCam.

No comments: